Decorating a Balcony
Decorating a balcony can be difficult due to limited space, but don’t let it limit your creativity and design goals. Danny and I recently gave our balcony a huge new refresh (keep scrolling for the before), and I’m so excited about it! I love looking out on it from inside our house just as much as I enjoy being on the balcony. It’s amazing how just changing up a few things can bring new life into your existing space.
Here are my tips when it comes to decorating a balcony.
My Look: Top | Jeggings | Slides
Decorating a Balcony:
- Have a vision in mind. Nailing down what look and style you’re trying to achieve will definitely help during the planning part of giving your balcony a makeover. I highly recommend browsing pictures on Pinterest, styles on Houzz, and your favorite stores to gather inspiration on what you want your outdoor space to look like. For our balcony, I envisioned a feeling of a modern garden – an airy yet cozy, contemporary space.
- Comfortable seating. What’s a balcony if it doesn’t have a comfy place to retreat and relax? 😉 It’s important to find furniture that exudes your vision without overpowering the space. In this instance, less is more. The outdoor couch we previously had on our balcony was too oversized for the space. This time we opted for a cozier and smaller set. The smaller furniture opens up the space and makes the balcony feel so much bigger! It’s also fun to mix and match furniture pieces. For instance, to add a more modern flair, we replaced the coffee table that came with the set with this modern outdoor table. I’m obsessed with how it turned out.
- Outdoor rug. A super easy way to add a pop of color or design to your balcony is by adding an outdoor rug. The best part is it doesn’t take up any space! I chose an ombre outdoor woven rug that has a touch of pink, of course. They even make artificial turf rugs to add faux grass to balconies – super cool!
- Foliage. Bring in some faux or live plants to make your balcony an outdoor garden oasis. And if you’re looking for privacy that adds greenery to your balcony, I HIGHLY recommend expandable privacy screens with faux ivy leaves. I think they are my favorite Amazon find, ever. The differing shades of green make it hard to tell that it’s not real.
- Fun decorations. Don’t forget to add some lighting to your balcony to enjoy it in the evening. We added weatherproof twinkle lights to our ivy as well as this lantern which I LOVE. It comes on each night by timer.
Patio Set | Outdoor Rug | Privacy Screen | Lantern | Coffee Table
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me anytime! I’d love to hear about how you decorated your balcony.